Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year 2010

Hey everyone,

We're back again, and none to early. China has been very passionate about blocking all sorts of websites including this one. Since our break for the Chinese New Year is so long, I decided to set my mind and efforts on poking a new hole in the Great Firewall of China. I finally succeeded a few days ago, and I made it back onto Facebook and Google Blogger among other sites.

EVENTS OF THE YEAR
The school year finished up as normal and July landed us once again in the good old USA.
Soon after returning to the states, I found myself busy putting together a website for my home fellowship and daycare in Pennsylvania while Jackie helped out at the daycare.
At the end of August we returned to China once again for another school year. It has been an interesting year so far. With an almost completely new foreign team and new management, we had an interesting time getting started. We also picked up a lot of new classes as well this semester, but all went well. As soon as the semester was over, we were off on a trip, but I'll save the details on that one for another update. Our spring semester is now set to begin in a couple of weeks, and we'll be back in our offices this coming week. I know that makes some of you teachers jealous, but don't forget that we have to work until the end of June.

OPPORTUNITIES
I really don't know where to begin. Things were quite lively this past semester. I think I have told you in the past about the studies we had been doing with our English corner. Upon returning this semester, we had planned to continue, but He had different plans. I wish I could go into more detail, but alas, you will have to catch me when I come home this summer if you want to know more. This past semester, we went through some studies that I did while in high school, and it seemed to be really good for those who were like minded while challenging those who weren't to consider what life is really all about. It was great to see this particular group thinking about things for themselves, and using the Book to come up with answers to questions rather than having them regurgitate everything we tell them.

PLANS FOR THE FUTURE
This is a new topic that I haven't really addressed in any of my updates. This past semester, our school decided to throw some new courses into the mix. In the past, all of the courses taught by foreign teachers were ORAL English courses. That was fine. Our job was to get students speaking English. However, this year I (Nicholas) got a couple of writing courses. I now remember why it is that I studied math education and not English. While I like the students, I have not been that thrilled with the course, and I'm getting an itch to teach math. That being said, Jackie and I are in the middle of the application process for an organization that has six different likeminded schools in China. If we get this job, I would hopefully be teaching secondary math, and Jackie would continue TESOL. All of the schools are mainly for expats with children, but it wouldn't surprise me if some (many) of the students were boarding students from South Korea. At any rate, please Think with us on these things. We want to do His will.

Thanks for your support,
Nicholas & Jackie

No comments: